I like to keep a lot of handy little items in my gym bag, so I thought I would share with you what I take with me every day to the gym.
In my bag I like to keep:
1. A towel! I drink about a gallon of water a day, thus, I tend to sweat like a pig. Therefore, a towel is very necessary for those days when I can’t keep the sweat out of my eyes.
2. A notepad and pen. It’s a good practice to write down how much weight you lifted and how many reps you completed. This helps you improve from week to week. I don’t know about you, but I would definitely have a hard time remembering all the weights I used and how many reps I completed from week to week.
3. Camelbak water bottle. Obviously it’s important to stay hydrated while working out (especially if you sweat like a beast like me). I LOVE my Camelbak water bottle because I prefer to quickly be able to sip from a straw instead of taking the time to untwist or pop a lid. Plus, it has a badass graphic on it! 😉
4. Gymboss. I LOVE my Gymboss! It’s a little stop watch that can be clipped onto your clothing. What makes it special is that you can time intervals with it. You can set it to vibrate or beep when each interval is over. It’s definitely an awesome little tool that can be used for cardio or weights. Sometimes I’ll use it to time my rest breaks when lifting. They are offered in several different colors and I chose camouflage.
5. Weight lifting gloves. Sometimes those bars hurt or my hands are sweaty, so these just help a little with grip and padding. I don’t wear them all the time though and I honestly kind of like the little calluses I’m growing!
6. An old school leather jump rope. Jump ropes are great for cardio circuits. As you know, I’m not a fan of LISS (low intensity steady state) cardio. I find it sooooo boring. I prefer to do metabolic circuits and HIIT (high intensity interval training). A jump rope is an easy tool to incorporate in some circuits, and when done with intensity, it can really wipe you out in a short period of time!
7. And finally…My Versa Grips! I love love love my Versa Grips. It’s not always easy to hold a proper grip on heavy pulling exercises because of the small size of my hands and also because of my lack of grip strength. These help me pull heavier weight so that the rest of my body isn’t missing out just because my grip strength is lacking. My Versa Grips act just like lifting straps do, but they are much easier to use. You wrap the velcro strap around your wrist and you can easily maneuver each grip with the fingers of the same hand. They are awesome! Plus, they are made with a durable, slightly tacky material that really helps get a good grip on the bar. I love using these on my back day for deadlifts, rows, and sometimes lat pull-downs.
Here’s what Tim Ferriss, the author of The 4-Hour Body, keeps in his gym bag.
So, what do you keep in YOUR gym bag?